Welcome to Task 30 –
OC4 Code Validation Experts Meeting
As part of the International Energy Agency (IEA) Wind Task 30, a topical experts meeting was held on “Offshore Wind Model Validation” at the Millennium Harvest House in Boulder, CO on May 15-16, 2012. The purpose of the meeting was to begin development of a plan for international collaboration on validating the codes used for modeling and designing offshore wind turbines. The meeting was attended by 60 international and domestic attendees from national labs, industry, and academia. Invited speakers gave 17 presentations and NREL moderated four discussions to address the following topics:
- What data is needed for validation?
- What data is currently available?
- What test methods and instrumentation should be used to gather useful data for validation?
- What are the trade-offs between tank testing (scale models) and field testing (full scale)?
- How should the data be post-processed?
- What is the validation process?
- What case studies of test data collection and validation are available to the Task 30 group?
A standalone report of the meeting is published and disseminated to all OC4 participants.